Auction Date: 26/11/2014 at 01pm
India – Watercolour of Lahore, 19th c watercolour mounted on an album page depicting the Royal Mosque – Badshahi Masjid next to the Lahore Fort, with the inscription on the mount reading – A Mosque, Lahore by J Burney BCS Judge of the Chief Court at Lahore. The Badshahi Mosque or the Imperial Mosque in Lahore, now in Pakistan, was commissioned by the sixth Mughul Emperor Aurangzeb in 1671 and completed in 1673, is the second largest mosque in Pakistan and South Asia and the fifth largest mosque in the world. During the Sikh rule Ranjit Singh used its vast courtyard as a stable for his army’s horses and its courtyard as quarters for his soldiers and as magazines for military stores. Ranjit Singh used the Hazuri Bagh, the enclosed garden next to the Mosque as his official royal court of audience.